120 East 2nd Street
Built in 1935, Arthur LaPrade designed this building to accommodate two businesses. Built in the typical style of the 1903’s, the building features simple economic lines including a flat front to accommodate signage and an awning directly over the sidewalk. The 30 feet wide by 134 feet long building is constructed of brick with concrete foundations and a flat roof featuring parapet walls. In the 1970’s, the original brickwork was covered by a plaster repair.
The first business this building housed was a Sprouse-Reitz Co. five-and-dime store. The now-defunct chain once had over 470 stores throughout the western United States. Sprouse-Reitz advertised themselves as the “variety store” and did offer a large variety of inventory to the citizens of Winslow.
In the 1950’s Sears, Roebuck and Co., moved into the building and updated the lower façade to include a brick design and new windows were installed. Sears remained in the building until the mid-90’s before closing. The building has since hosted several local businesses in succession.